Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Internet Television....are we there yet?

Dear Santa,

I ditched cable because I was fed up with paying for channels I never watched and for a year made good use of my Wii Console and NetFlix streaming service.  But now the kids are tired of America's Funniest Home Videos and I miss watching Wimbledon on the BBC.  So I've dived into the whole Internet TV thing and as I've been playing with it, I've decided what I would like for Christmas.

1) I would like the ability to subscribe to premium content directly with the content provider.  None of this "who is your cable/satellite provider" nonsense.  Example HBO Go.  Dear Time Warner Cable, if I give you some money, please may I watch your stuff?

2) I would like receive content on any device or platform. Roku, AppleTV, iPad, Laptop...it doesn't matter.  If it has an internet connection and a screen I should be able to use it to view the content I've just paid for.  Example.  Vudu doesn't want to play with Roku.  Come on chaps, sort it out.

3) My location should not prevent me from viewing content.  Example.  I am British.  I live in the USA and I would like to watch BBC Television.  I would gladly pay the BBC license fee...if they would let me.  The Roku devices sold in the UK can serve up BBC iPlayer, but the firmware on the Roku devices sold in the USA will not allow it.  No fair! *pouts, stamps foot, installs Plex Media Server* 

4) I would like to be able to set parental controls to restrict the content that my children have access to.  Yes, I am a responsible parent.  Yes, my children & I have had discussions about appropriate content.  No, I am not always in the room with them when they're watching TV.  Netflix offers parental controls and while greatly improved recently, they still pretty much suck.  Amazon streaming video doesn't offer any parental controls and neither does Hulu. Don't even talk to me about Crackle.  I just deleted that sucker from my Roku.  Vudu seems to be the leader here, enabling parental controls to be set per device.  What an excellent idea ;)

Come on people.  We have the technology to make the consumer happy.  Don't forget that the consumer also has the technology to circumvent much of this silliness. *cough, cough*virtual private network*cough, cough*BitTorrent*cough, cough*

Yours sincerely,

James


No comments: